Milan 50 Years Ago 12/1969

Looking Back at Milan’s History ~ …through the lens of the Milan Community Association Newsletter started in November 1968…Local author Bonnie Wood of Keeping NY History Alive supplements the original MCA Newsletters with “Reader’s Notes”. Milan Community Association Newsletter Vol. 2 No. 2 December 1969 Reader’s Notes~ Order Time for Tree Seedlings “One of theContinue reading “Milan 50 Years Ago 12/1969”

Milan 50 Years Ago 7/1969

Excerpt: Click the title for the full blog.

July 1969 Local Businesses~ What are your memories of going to town 50 years ago?

Local Businesses

  • Red Hook Fabric Shop
  • Madge’s Beauty Salon Academy Hill Road
  • Johnson’s General Store Route 199 Lafayetteville
  • Hank’s Garage Route 199
  • Thorco Fuel LTD. Atlantic Heating Oils “Service” 19 W. Market Street Red Hook
  • Robert G. Cole Plumbing and Heating Milan Hill Road Red Hook
  • Helen Z. Battistoni, Realtor 23 E. Market Street Rhinebeck 25 So. Broadway Red Hook
  • Rock City Sand & Gravel
  • Herb Swank Radio – TV – Hi-Fi
  • Florence C. Hill Real Estate Broker
  • Duxbury Hermans Insurance
  • Beehler Realty 142 So. Broadway Red Hook
  • DF Services All Your Class Needs Route 199
  • Ed Rancich Fuel Oil
  • Fred’s Tavern Italian-American Food-Pizza Rock City

Milan 50 Years Ago 1/1969

Excerpt: Click the title for the full blog.
Historical Quiz
“This sketch shows the Henry Jackson House, predating 1850, on Rowe Lane, now owned by Mr. McClure. Henry’s son Ferris, lived in the house until 1940. He was born in 1856, took his schooling in White Schoolhouse, was well loved in the community and was a happy, musical man whose fingers were at home on an organ or piano while he would sing hymns and songs in a rich rolling voice. He died in 1940 and is buried in the Lutheran Cemetery in Rock City.”

Milan 50 Years Ago 12/1968

Excerpt: Click on the title for the full blog.
Historical Quiz
“The sketch on page one shows the Jackson Corners General Store, presently operated by Mrs. Gaddis. Built as a colonial inn about 1773, it was a stagecoach stop on what was then Nobletown Road. In addition to its present use it has also served as a doctor’s office, hotel and as the former Jackson Corners Post Office.”